Why Offer FitPick?
FitPick is a turnkey program for any organization to use to deliver simple, nutrition information directly to consumers, empowering them to make informed snack choices. The benefits of offering FitPick in a healthy vending or micro market program far outweigh any challenges.
Reasons to use FitPick include:
- Solidifying account relationships
- Maintaining influence in product decisions
- Establishing added market value by becoming an “expert” in fit vending
- Demonstrating commitment to the well-being of customers, schools and the local community
- Offsetting the need for outside regulation of the vending industry
Why is Demand for “Fit” Products Increasing?
Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes are considered epidemics in America today. The statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are alarming. Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years, while adult obesity has increased 75% in the same period.
- The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2012
- Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to nearly 21% over the same period
- In 2010, more than 69 percent of all people age 20 and older were overweight or obese
Our current generation of children could become the first in American history to live shorter lives than their parents. Recent research suggests that obesity shortens the average lifespan by at least four to nine months. If childhood obesity continues to increase, it could cut two to five years from average expected lifespan.
Vending as a Partner in Health
FitPick offers simple, easy to understand guidelines featuring absolute values for calories, fat, sugar and sodium, making the program ideal for operators and consumers alike. A clear, modern labeling system allows for quick identification of snack choices that meet FitPick nutrition guidelines.
Why Not Create Your Own Vending Program?
If you or one of your accounts is planning to invent a customized vending program, please consider the following reasons to adopt the FitPick program instead:
- FitPick is a standardized and recognizable labeling system that is available to operators nationwide. Seamless continuity – across venues, communities, and state lines – supports consumer recognition for the program.
- Adopting an established and supported program is more cost-effective than creating one.
- Using FitPick eliminates the need to design, print, store and distribute identifying labels and signs.
Why Aren’t Beverages Included in the FitPick Nutrition Standards?
NAMA endorses the American Beverage Association’s Calories Count™ Beverage Vending Program. NAMA will consider including beverages in future programs and standards.